Courses: For Fall 2018, the School of Integrative Biology offers proficiency exams for the following courses:
- IB 100: Biology in Today's World
- IB 104: Animal Biology
- IB 150: Organismal & Evolutionary Biology
Exam date and time: Proficiency exams will be offered at the beginning of the fall semester. The next proficiency exam will be offered date, time and place to be announced.
Purpose: Proficiency exams offer students the opportunity to earn academic credit that counts toward degree completion without actually taking the course for which they earn the credit.
Eligibility: In order to be eligible to take a proficiency exam a student:
- Must be currently enrolled at the Urbana-Champaign campus
- Must not have previously taken a proficiency exam for the same course
- Must not have previously received credit or a grade in the same course
- Must not have received credit in an IB course in advance of the course in which the exam is requested
Grading: If a student earns a C- or higher score on a proficiency exam a PS grade is given. If a student receives a grade lower than C- a grade of F is given. However, the grade of F is not recorded on the student's official record. Passing a proficiency exam does not affect your GPA or tuition situation.
Study information: Please refer to a recent course syllabus for information on course content.
Sign-up: To be announced
Questions: Please direct any questions regarding proficiency exams to the appropriate faculty member:
- IB 100, Dr. Li-Qing Chen email@example.com
- IB 104, Dr. Bettina Francis firstname.lastname@example.org
- IB 150, Dr. Ben Clegg email@example.com
Additional information on Proficiency Exams is provided in Article 3, Part 2 of the Student Code which can be found at http://studentcode.illinois.edu/article3_part2_3-203.html.