What does the fellowship invlove?
Structure of Program
Students selected for this fellowship will begin their 10 week research fellowship on May 25, 2020 During the course of the summer, you will learn laboratory techniques, form connections with other undergraduates conducting research, execute a research project designed by your mentor, be involved with outreach in the local Champaign-Urbana community, and present research at an undergraduate research symposium (for your friends and family to attend).
Goals for Student
- Gain research experience working in a research lab
- Learn how to conduct science in both the lab and field
- Gain a higher understanding and regard for the role of science in every day life
- Form personal and professional connections with faculty and students
- Have fun
Criteria for Application
Students must be affiliated with the Access and Achievement Program (AAP). Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors are encouraged to apply.
- Students will conduct research for 10 weeks from May 25, 2020 until August 7, 2020. Exact fellowship start and ending dates are flexible and are dependent on mentor availability. Please notify the program coordinators if you have difficulty fulfilling this requirement.
- Attend The School of Integrative Biology - Introduction to Research in Integrative Biology Research Symposium. Here, you will give a short presentation on your summer work to a small group of peers and faculty mentors - Occurs during the first week of August.
- Write a brief summary of summer research experience to be turned into the program organizers shortly following the completion of the summer fellowship.
Student will receive a paid stipend $6,000 to cover living expenses for the three month research experience.