Courses: For Fall 2021, the School of Integrative Biology offers proficiency exams for the following courses:
- IB 100: Biology in Today's World
- IB 103: Introduction to Plant Biology
- IB 104: Animal Biology
- IB 150: Organismal & Evolutionary Biology
Exam date and time: Proficiency exams will be offered at the beginning of the fall semester. The next proficiency exam will be offered Thursday, August 26, 2021, 6:00pm - 9:00pm in 2020 NHB.
Purpose: Proficiency exams offer students the opportunity to earn academic credit that counts toward degree completion without actually taking the course for which they earn the credit.
Eligibility: In order to be eligible to take a proficiency exam, a student:
- Must be currently enrolled at the Urbana-Champaign campus
- Must not have previously taken a proficiency exam for the same course
- Must not have previously received credit or a grade in the same course
- Must not have received credit in an IB course in advance of the course in which the exam is requested
Grading: If a student earns a C- or higher score on a proficiency exam, a PS grade is given. If a student receives a grade lower than C-, a grade of F is given. However, the grade of F is not recorded on the student's official record. Passing a proficiency exam does not affect your GPA or tuition situation.
Study information: Please refer to a recent course syllabus for information on course content.
Sign-up: Sign up for a proficiency exam here. The deadline to sign up is Monday, August 23, 2021
Questions: Please direct any questions regarding proficiency exams to the appropriate faculty member:
- IB 100, Dr. Liqing Chen, email@example.com
- IB 103, Dr. Ray Ming, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IB 104, Dr. Lily Arias, email@example.com
- IB 150, Dr. Ben Clegg, firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information on Proficiency Exams is provided in Article 3, Part 2 of the Student Code which can be found at https://studentcode.illinois.edu/article3/part2/3-203/