Undergraduate Degree Programs
Certificate in Integrative Health
The Certificate in Integrative Health is open to all undergraduate students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and is administered by the School of Integrative Biology. This certificate addresses a growing demand for health-care providers that approach health in a holistic manner, and provides students with interdisciplinary preparation in the myriad ways health is affected. The certificate also provides students with a credential that demonstrates their competency in integrating biology and health. Careers for which the Certificate in Integrative Health may be appropriate include medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, optometry, physical therapy, genetic counseling, and veterinary medicine.
Although the certificate will not appear on a student’s transcript, students completing the certificate are free to use this credential on a resume or application for advanced study and will have the option to be presented with an official certificate document.
For completion of the certificate, students must do the following:
- Declare their intention to complete the certificate and develop a plan of study in by completing the online form.
- Choose which certificate track you intend to follow: A.) Complete four courses selected from the list below. B.) Complete three courses selected from the list below and participate in at least one practicum to be approved by an IB advisor.
- Complete the online checklist no later than the 10th day of classes in the student’s final term to affirm that the requirements for the certificate have been met or will be met at the completion of the current term.
Students are not guaranteed a seat in a course required by the certificate but are welcome to enroll in courses where seats are available after any restriction, which may have been placed, has been removed.
Students opting to complete the certificate with a practicum must receive approval from an IB advisor prior to undertaking the practicum. Options for a practicum may include, but are not limited to, the following: volunteering, research, experience abroad, internships, or job shadowing. Practicums should comprise at least twenty supervised hours of experience aligned with the certificate. Students need to complete the online practicum approval form prior to undertaking the experience.
Certificate in Integrative Health (9-15 hours)
Choose one (3-5 hours)
- IB 202 Physiology (lab optional)
- IB 204 Genetics (lab optional)
- IB 270 Evolution of Molecules and Cells (restricted to IB Honors)
- IB 271 Organismal Biology (restricted to IB Honors)
Choose two of the following,
plus a practicum experience approved by IB advisors (6-8 hours)
OR choose three of the following with no practicum (9-12 hours)
- IB 303 Anatomy
- IB 329 Animal Behavior
- IB 360 Evolution & Human Health
- IB 361 Ecology & Human Health
- IB 364 Genomics & Human Health
- IB 430 Animal Behavior Lab
- IB 432 Genes & Behavior
- IB 434 Physical Principles in Biology
- IB 435 Critical Evaluation of Herbal Remedies
- IB 481 Vector-Borne Diseases