MANUSCRIPTS IN REVIEW OR IN REVISION
1. Burnham M, Simon S, Schetter A, Lee D, Kent AD, DeLucia EH, Yang WH. Intra- and inter-annual variability of nitrification in the rhizosphere of field-grown biomass sorghum. In review, Soil Biology & Biochemistry
2. Chee-Sanford JC, Sanford RA, Yang WH, Ortiz Iglesias DA. Diurnal temperature variation in surface soils: an overlooked phenomenon leading to differential responses in microbial N-cycle processes and greenhouse gas fluxes. In Revision, Frontiers in Forests and Global Change
3. von Haden AC, Burnham MB, Yang WH, DeLucia EH. Comparative establishment and yield of bioenergy sorghum and maize following pre-emergence waterlogging. In Major Revision, Agronomy Journal
4. Seyfried GS, Canham CD, Dalling JW, Yang WH. The effects of tree-mycorrhizal type on soil organic matter pools from neighborhood to watershed scales. In Review, Soil Biology & Biochemistry
5. Egenriether S, Sanford R, Yang WH, Kent AD. Phylogenetic diversity and OTU clustering: when to prioritize accuracy over speed. In Review, Frontiers in Microbiology
42. Seyfried GS, Dalling JW, Yang WH (2021) Effects of mycorrhizal type on leaf litter decomposition depend on litter quality and environmental context. Biogeochemistry, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-021-00810-x
41. Shan J, Sanford RA, Chee-Sanford J, Ooi S, Löffler FE, Konstantinidis KT, Yang WH (2021) Beyond denitrification: the role of microbial diversity in controlling nitrous oxide reduction and soil nitrous oxide emissions. Global Change Biology, 27, 2669–2683.
40. McNicol G, Yu Z, Berry C, Emery N, Soper FM, Yang WH (2021) Tracing plant-environment interactions from organismal to planetary scales using stable isotopes. A mini review. Emerging Topics in Life Sciences, Article ETLS20200277
39. Yadav P, Antony-Babu S, Hayes E , Healy OM , Pan D , Yang WH, Silver WL, Anderson CL , Voshall A, Fernando SC , Moriyama EN, Herr JR , Weber KA (2021) Complete high-quality genome of Geobacter sp. strain FeAm09, a moderately acidophilic soil bacterium. Microbiology Resource Announcements, 10, e00979-20.
38. Moore CE, von Haden AC, Burnham MB, Kantola I, Gibson CD, Blakely BJ, Dracup EC, Masters MD, Yang WH, DeLucia EH, Bernacchi CJ (2020) Ecosystem-scale biogeochemical fluxes from three bioenergy crop candidates: how energy sorghum compares to maize and miscanthus. Global Change Biology-Bioenergy, 13, 445-458.
37. Dove NC, Arogyaswamy K, Billings SA, Bothoff JK, Carey CJ, Cisco C, DeForest JL, Fairbanks D, Fierer N, Kaye JP, Lohse KA, Maltz MR, Mayora E, Pett-Ridge J, Yang WH, Hart SC, Aronson EL (2020) Continental-scale patterns of extracellular enzyme activity in the subsoil: an overlooked reservoir of microbial activity. Environmental Research Letters, 15, 1040a1.
36. Moore CE, Berardi D, Betes-Blanc E, DeLucia EH, Dracup EC, Egenriether S, Gomez-Casanovas N, Hartman M, Hudiburg T, Kantola I, Masters M, Parton W, Van Allen R, von Haden A, Yang WH, Bernacchi CJ (2020) The carbon and nitrogen cycle impacts of reverting perennial switchgrass to an annual maize crop rotation. Global Change Biology-Bioenergy, 12, 941-954.
35. Zeri M, Yang WH, Cunha-Zeri G, Gibson C, Bernacchi C (2020) Nitrous oxide fluxes over establishing biofuel crops: characterization of temporal variability using cross-wavelet analysis. Global Change Biology-Bioenergy, 12, 756-770.
34. Paul RF, Cai Y, Peng B, Yang WH, Guan K, DeLucia EH (2020) Spatiotemporal derivation of intermittent ponding in a maize-soybean landscape from Planet Labs CubeSat images. Remote Sensing, 12, Article 1942.
33. von Haden AC, Yang WH, DeLucia EH (2020) Soils’ dirty little secret: Depth-based comparisons can be inadequate for quantifying changes in soil organic carbon and other mineral soil properties. Global Change Biology, 26, 3759–3770.
32. Chee-Sanford JC, Connor L, Krichels A, Yang WH, Sanford RA (2020) Hierarchical detection of diverse Clade II (atypical) nosZ genes using new primer sets for classical- and multiplex PCR array applications. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 172, Article 105908.
31. Heath KD, Podowski JC, Heniff S, Klinger CR, Burke PV, Weese DJ, Yang WH, Lau JA (2020) Light availability and rhizobium variation interactively mediate the outcomes of legume-rhizobium symbiosis. American Journal of Botany, 107, 229-238.
30. Almaraz M, Wong M, Yang WH (2020) Looking back to look ahead: A vision for soil denitrification research. Ecology, 101, Article e02917.
29. Krichels AH and Yang WH (2019) Dynamic controls on field-scale soil nitrous oxide hot spots and hot moments across a microtopographic gradient. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 124, 3618-3634.
28. Krichels AH, Sipic E, Yang WH (2019) Iron redox reactions can drive microtopographic variation in upland soil carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide emissions. Soil Systems, 3, 60; https://doi.org/10.3390/soilsystems3030060
27. Krichels AH, DeLucia EH, Sanford R, Chee-Sanford J, Yang WH (2019) Historical soil drainage mediates the response of soil greenhouse gas emissions to intense precipitation events. Biogeochemistry, 142, 425-442.
26. Suriyavirun N, Krichels AH, Kent AD, Yang WH. (2019) Microtopographic differences in soil properties and microbial community composition at the field scale. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 131, 71-80.
25. Portier EF, Silver WL, Yang WH (2019) Effects of an invasive perennial forb on gross soil nitrogen cycling and nitrous oxide fluxes depend on phenology. Ecology, 100, e02716.
24. Cannon J, Sanford R, Connor L, Yang WH, Chee-Sanford J (2019) Sequence alignments and validation of PCR primers used to detect phylogenetically diverse nrfA genes associated with dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium (DNRA). Data in Brief, 25, Article 104016.
23. Cannon J, Sanford R, Connor L, Yang WH, Chee-Sanford J (2019) Optimization of PCR primers to detect phylogenetically diverse nrfA genes associated with nitrite ammonification. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 160, 49-59.
22. Orellana LH, Hatt JK, Chourey K, Hettich RL, Yang WH, Chee-Sanford JC, Sanford RA, Loffler FE, and Konstantinidis KT (2019) Comparing DNA, RNA and protein levels for measuring microbial dynamics in soil microcosms amended with nitrogen fertilizer. Scientific Reports, 9, 17630.
21. Brewer T, Aronson EL, Arogyaswamy K, Billings SA, Botthoff JK, Campbell AN, Dove NC, Fairbanks D, Gallery RE, Hart SC, Kaye JP, King GM, Lohse KA, Maltz MR, Mayorga E, O’Neill C, Owens SM, Packman AI, Pett-Ridge J, Plante AF, Richter DD, Silver WL, Yang WH, Fierer N (2019) Ecological and genomic attributes of novel bacterial taxa that thrive in subsurface soil horizons. mBio, 10, e01318-19.
20. Shan J, Chen S, Chee-Sanford JC, Yang WH, Sanford RA, Chen J, Yan X (2019) Impact of triclosan and triclocarban on denitrification and N2O emissions in paddy soil. Science of the Total Environment, 695, Article 133782.
19. Hanisch PE, Drager K, Yang WH, Tubaro P, Suarez AV (2019) Intra- and inter-specific variation in trophic ecology of “predatory” ants in the subfamily Ponerinae. Ecological Entomology, 45, 444-455.
18. Edwards J, Pittelkow C, Kent A, Yang WH. (2018) Dynamic biochar effects on soil nitrous oxide emissions and underlying microbial processes during the maize growing season. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 122, 81-90.
17. Wolz, K, Lovell ST, Branham, B, Eddy, WC, Keeley, K, Revord, R, Wander, W, Yang, WH, DeLucia, E. (2018) Frontiers in alley cropping: transformative solutions for temperate agriculture. Global Change Biology, 24, 883-894.
16. Yang, WH, McNicol, G, Teh, YA, Estera-Molina, K, Wood, TE, Silver, WL. (2017) Evaluating the classical versus an emerging conceptual model of peatland methane dynamics. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 31, 1435–1453.
15. Yang, WH, Ryals, RA, Cusack, DF, Silver, WL. (2017) Cross-biome assessment of gross soil nitrogen cycling in California ecosystems. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 107, 144-155.
14. Yang, WH, Silver, WL. (2016) Net soil-atmosphere fluxes mask patterns in gross production and consumption of nitrous oxide and methane in a managed ecosystem. Biogeosciences, 13, 1705-1715.
13. Yang, WH, Silver, WL. (2016) Gross nitrous oxide production drives net nitrous oxide fluxes across a salt marsh landscape. Global Change Biology, 22, 2228-2237.
12. Yang, WH, Liptzin, D (2015) High potential for iron reduction in upland soils. Ecology, 96, 2015-2020.
11. Yang, WH, Traut, BH, Silver, WL (2015) Microbially mediated nitrogen retention and loss in a salt marsh soil. Ecosphere, 6, Article 7.
10. Yang, WH, McDowell, AC, Brooks, PD, Silver, WL (2014) New high precision approach for measuring 15N-N2 gas fluxes from terrestrial ecosystems. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 69, 234-241.
9. Yang, WH, Teh YA, Silver, WL (2013) Measuring gross N2O production in soil: a reply to Well and Butterbach-Bahl. Global Change Biology, 19, 985-987.
8. Yang, WH, Weber, KA, Silver, WL (2012) Nitrogen loss from soil through anaerobic ammonium oxidation coupled to iron reduction. Nature Geoscience, 5, 538-541.
7. Yang, WH, Silver, WL (2012) Application of the N2/Ar technique to measuring soil-atmosphere N2 fluxes. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 26, 1-11.
6. Yang, WH, Herman, DJ, Liptzin, D, Silver, WL (2012) A new approach for removing iron interference from soil nitrate analysis. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 46, 123-128.
5. Yang, WH, Teh, YA, Silver, WL (2011) A test of a field-based 15N-nitrous oxide pool dilution technique to measure gross N2O production in soil. Global Change Biology, 17, 3577–3588.
4. Burgin, AM, Yang, WH, Silver, WL, Hamilton, S (2011) Beyond C and N: How the microbial energy economy couples elemental cycles in diverse ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 9, 44-52.
3. Cusack, DF, Chou, WW, Yang, WH, Harmon, ME, Silver, WL, the LIDET Team (2009) Controls on long-term root and leaf litter decomposition in neotropical forests. Global Change Biology, 15, 1339-1355.
2. Sack, L, Melcher, P, Liu, WH, Middleton, E, Pardee, T (2006) How strong is intra-canopy leaf plasticity in temperate deciduous trees? American Journal of Botany, 93, 829-839.
1. Liu, WH, Bryant, DM, Hutyra, LR, Saleska, SR, Hammond Pyle, E, Curran, DC, Wofsy SC (2006) Woody debris contribution to the carbon budgets of selectively-logged and maturing mid-latitude forests. Oecologia, 148, 108-117.